yconic - WLU/UW BBA/Bmath vs Schulich BBA vs Laurier BBA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

WLU/UW BBA/Bmath vs Schulich BBA vs Laurier BBA

A photo of Monochromatic123 Monochromatic123
I am currently deciding between these 3 programs after being accepted and I just want to weigh in some opinion of others who are in these programs or have more knowledge.

My future goal is to become a Chartered Accountant but I do say that it can change anytime.

I want to go to a university that would provide me with success in the future given that I work hard for it, and would also give me a memorable experience (social life).

I would be leaning toward the double degree but I am generally not a good math student, rather that I have to work hard to understand math. Achieving my 93% alone was difficult. I need some thoughts on the difficulty of UW math.

In terms of the Schulich BBA vs Laurier BBA for becoming a CA, I've heard good things about both but Schulich BBA is considered better. What is making me lean away from Schulich is that it is a commuter school, I live about 45 mins away and so I would not live on residence and I feel that I would miss out on the residence and party experience at Laurier. I do know that Laurier is a great school aswell in terms of its co-op and UFE results.

Any thoughts?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of caveman caveman
While it is possible to become a CA from the DD program, it will be a lot more work and the math won't really be applicable to accounting (plus you mentioned that you feel you're not the greatest math student). You could always try the DD and drop down to regular BBA if you find the math too hard, but imo you should stay away if possible.

I think most would agree that Schulich is a little better than Laurier. But, you have noted that certain aspects of attending Laurier would be better than attending Schulich. So make sure you weigh all of your options. They're both good schools, and both offer something a bit different. So, would you prefer the school that's in Toronto, with a better rep, and a more involved group of student, or the program that's got great co-op and known to be fairly good, is quite relaxed and has a fund environment? Make sure you visit and talk to as many current students as possible. Make a big list and compare costs and that and figure out where you'd like to spend your next 4-5 years.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hybridfx2 hybridfx2
Above poster is correct.
Take the DD and drop down to Laurier BBA if you must.

DD gives you the most career prospect versatility (you said you're not set on CA).
If you are set on CA, you are guaranteed co-op which counts towards the required CA chargeable hours (work exp) in a CATO.

I'm a second year DD currently on coop with a small CA firm :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Monochromatic123 Monochromatic123

@hybridfx2 wrote
Above poster is correct.

DD gives you the most career prospect versatility (you said you're not set on CA).
If you are set on CA, you are guaranteed co-op which counts towards the required CA chargeable hours (work exp) in a CATO.

How hard do you find the math? When will I be able to drop down to Laurier BBA and have guaranteed co-op when it comes to it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hybridfx2 hybridfx2

@Monochromatic123 wrote

@hybridfx2 wrote
Above poster is correct.

How hard do you find the math? When will I be able to drop down to Laurier BBA and have guaranteed co-op when it comes to it?

The math is quite difficult, there is no question about it. Assignments with only 4 questions can take upwards of 6 hours. But honestly, I'd rather be taking math courses than any general arts elective such as history or astronomy.

Don't quote me on this but I believe after you finish your first work term as a DD and are already within the co-op system, you can drop down to BBA and still complete co-op given you meet the co-op requirements.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@Monochromatic123 wrote
I am currently deciding between these 3 programs after being accepted and I just want to weigh in some opinion of others who are in these programs or have more knowledge.

My future goal is to become a Chartered Accountant but I do say that it can change anytime.

I want to go to a university that would provide me with success in the future given that I work hard for it, and would also give me a memorable experience (social life).

I would be leaning toward the double degree but I am generally not a good math student, rather that I have to work hard to understand math. Achieving my 93% alone was difficult. I need some thoughts on the difficulty of UW math.

In terms of the Schulich BBA vs Laurier BBA for becoming a CA, I've heard good things about both but Schulich BBA is considered better. What is making me lean away from Schulich is that it is a commuter school, I live about 45 mins away and so I would not live on residence and I feel that I would miss out on the residence and party experience at Laurier. I do know that Laurier is a great school aswell in terms of its co-op and UFE results.

Any thoughts?

You have addressed two concerns. One is that you want to get the CA designation, but you are not sure. If not CA, what aspect of business are you interested in? Schulich students do very well across all fields of business and the quality of our program and employers get better an better every year. While we don't offer co-op, here you can find a lot of support from the school to find amazing internships (Big 4 is definitely one of the easiest internships to get).

Social life. I have never been at Laurier, so I don't know what kind of social life/parties they have there. However, being at Schulich I realized that the fact that it's a "commuter school" doesn't really have an impact on social life. Schulich has a very close community and everyone knows each other. If you are going to visit Schulich, you can find everyone sitting together in our lounge, court yard or basement. I have made some of my best friends here and we hang out A LOT. We don't party too often (maybe 7 parties in September and then only a couple after midterms and after finals) just because that's not our thing. We'd much rather go out to a lounge and have a few drinks. However, there are many students who go clubbing almost every weekend. If you want an even better "social" experience, move to the residence. Although you live 45 min away, you can still do that and you might end up having even more fun that way.
Was this helpful? Yes 0