yconic - WLU/WATERLOO BBA/BMATH OR WATERLOO/WLU BBA/BMATH
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

WLU/WATERLOO BBA/BMATH OR WATERLOO/WLU BBA/BMATH

A photo of Slowwy Slowwy
WLU/WATERLOO BBA/BMATH OR WATERLOO/WLU BBA/BMATH
Which side is better?
For those who got accepted, did u fill in your ABS for Laurier? As for Waterloo, did you have to write like 3 essays for it or something when applying?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Choose whatever school's co-op program you like better and which campus/environment you like better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blurX blurX
Flame me, but typing in all caps is annoying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PaperPen PaperPen
Choose the one that offers you more money..which would normally be Laurier. Since it's essentially the same program, you can't really say which one is better. It comes down to co-op and campus, like g93 said.
For Waterloo, I didn't have to write 3 essays. You just had to complete the AIF.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@PaperPen wrote
Choose the one that offers you more money..which would normally be Laurier.

The only way Laurier will pay more is if you are above 95. If you are 90-95 it is the same, and if you are 85-90 Waterloo will pay more (Laurier pays nothing for 85-90). So for most people they will be the same or even Waterloo will pay more.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North
It really just comes down to personal choice if you get accepted through both schools.

The biggest difference is definitely the co-op program. It is generally accepted that more of the jobs offered at WLU are on the business end of the program while the jobs at UW are more focused towards math/CS.

That isn't to say that you can't get business jobs at UW or math/CS jobs at WLU there are just more jobs in each sector at each university. On the other hand, you then have to compete with more people for the same co-op jobs - ex. lots of co-op BBA students at Laurier looking at the same business jobs.

The other major difference in co-o is that laurier based students do not start co-op until 2nd year. This means if you are WLU-based you have 3 or 4 co-op terms while those who are UW-based get 4 or 5 co-op terms.

Check out the Double Degree Club website for more information http://www.ddclub.ca/index.php

I did not fill out my ABS for Laurier as I was accepted in January and it is not mandatory.
As PaperPen said, for UW you have to fill otu the Admission Information Form (AIF) which has a few short answer questions but hardly 3 essays. It also asks you to list contest information, references and ECs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@North wrote
It really just comes down to personal choice if you get accepted through both schools.

The biggest difference is definitely the co-op program. It is generally accepted that more of the jobs offered at WLU are on the business end of the program while the jobs at UW are more focused towards math/CS.

That isn't to say that you can't get business jobs at UW or math/CS jobs at WLU there are just more jobs in each sector at each university. On the other hand, you then have to compete with more people for the same co-op jobs - ex. lots of co-op BBA students at Laurier looking at the same business jobs.

The other major difference in co-o is that laurier based students do not start co-op until 2nd year. This means if you are WLU-based you have 3 or 4 co-op terms while those who are UW-based get 4 or 5 co-op terms.

Check out the Double Degree Club website for more information http://www.ddclub.ca/index.php

I did not fill out my ABS for Laurier as I was accepted in January and it is not mandatory.
As PaperPen said, for UW you have to fill otu the Admission Information Form (AIF) which has a few short answer questions but hardly 3 essays. It also asks you to list contest information, references and ECs.

Co-op doesn't start until second year at Waterloo as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@johnnycanuck wrote

It starts in first year for many programs - including the Math/CS & BBA Double Degrees.

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/navigation/Current/firstYearGuide/coop/sequence_charts.html
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@North wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

It starts in first year for many programs - including the Math/CS & BBA Double Degrees.

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/navigation/Current/firstYearGuide/coop/sequence_charts.html

My bad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Imo, its really all about coop - choose which stream you want.
Was this helpful? Yes 0