yconic - Women in Engineering Applicant Event
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Women in Engineering Applicant Event

A photo of Solidus Solidus
I was accepted into Waterloo and got an e-mail about the "Women in Engineering Applicant Event". At first I wasn't really interested, but then it mentioned something about a gift and a light dinner (horrible reasons to go, but it just sounded a little too... feminist for me). I was wondering if it was really worth it? I'd have to drive 2 hours to there and back. Has anyone gone there in past years, and if so, what was the gift and dinner like?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
Haha don't worry I was attracted to the event for the same reasons :P

I was going to March Break Open House anyway, so I don't know, I might stay for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
If I could go back and do my undergrad again I would go to way more events like this. Meeting and getting to know professors and other engineers was probably the best part of my undergrad, and I really only started doing it in my fourth year. Don't knock it just because you think it might be a bit too feminist for you, you'll have plenty of time to hang out with boys during your degree :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LindaS LindaS
I don't think I'm going to go just because it's only open to girls. But if it was open fore everyone, then I'd jump at the opportunity. I like getting special treatments, but I don't like receiving it just because I'm a girl.

However, I am drawn to the "gift and light dinner" :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of need2succeed need2succeed
Yeah I'm wondering about this too. It's an hour drive for me (which isn't terrible) but I don't want to go if it's just an unnecessary "meet and greet" with people I'll never see again...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@need2succeed wrote
Yeah I'm wondering about this too. It's an hour drive for me (which isn't terrible) but I don't want to go if it's just an unnecessary "meet and greet" with people I'll never see again...

This is not the best thing to be thinking when you know you'll be looking for a job in 4-5 years. Take every networking opportunity you can, you never know who you'll see again
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of need2succeed need2succeed

@ktel wrote

@need2succeed wrote

This is not the best thing to be thinking when you know you'll be looking for a job in 4-5 years. Take every networking opportunity you can, you never know who you'll see again

I see your point. :)
I guess I need to start building my web before I even start the degree.
Thanks for your advice!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ Not that I'm saying it's necessarily going to be a great event or that you should go if it's a long drive, I'm just saying in general if you can go to events like these it could be very helpful and you should always try to keep an open mind. I went to a civil engineering event a little while ago with my boyfriend, and even though I'm an aerospace engineer, I met a woman who had several friends working at Bombardier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
If you're coming from far away I don't think it's usually that worth it. You end up meeting more significant people when you are actually at school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aimango wrote
If you're coming from far away I don't think it's usually that worth it. You end up meeting more significant people when you are actually at school.

Do you know what exactly the "fun activities" are going to be? :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
To add to this, I just went to a similar event for International Women's Day and it was SOOOO amazing. I met so many women who work at my dream company and they were throwing around business cards and really encouraging us to contact them and offering to mentor us, etc. These things are worthwhile (but you have to put yourself out there a bit)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chelseaaa Chelseaaa
"too feminist" - im sorry what part of feminism offends you? i seriously doubt that many people know what the word and the movement means - feminism is the "radical" notion that women are poeple... not that women are better than men -just that we are equal... the mindset that all feminists are bra-burning man-haters seriously pisses me off.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
"Feminism" actually is actually much wider than what you've described Chelseaaa, so I doubt that you even know what the movement means. It certainly can include bra-burning man-haters.

Anyways, I do think it was a little ridiculous for the OP to pass up an excellent networking opportunity because they thought it sounded "too feminist".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I attended the event, it wasn't bad. It was pretty cool to meet others who I'll probably see in September, as well as talk to the older students. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StellaSparx StellaSparx

@ninetyfour wrote
I attended the event, it wasn't bad. It was pretty cool to meet others who I'll probably see in September, as well as talk to the older students. :)

How many girls were there?? Mannn, I wish I was invited :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@StellaSparx wrote

@ninetyfour wrote

How many girls were there?? Mannn, I wish I was invited :P

Probably about a 100. You could have come, it was by registration! I think accepted applicants got first chance, but then it was open for anyone :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StellaSparx StellaSparx

@ninetyfour wrote

Probably about a 100. You could have come, it was by registration! I think accepted applicants got first chance, but then it was open for anyone :)

Omg, you're kidding me! That makes me so frustratedd, like why didn't Waterloo tell me this?! Lol thanks for telling me tho
Was this helpful? Yes 0