yconic - Wondering what steps I should take to be Accepted into University for Commerce.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Wondering what steps I should take to be Accepted into University for Commerce.

A photo of BramptonHockey17 BramptonHockey17
You seem to be academically on track for a spot at Queen's Commerce. Don't underestimate grade 11 & 12, so keep up your work habits/ethics. Work especially hard in your maths as I've heard Queen's is math intensive. Take Data Management in grade 11 summer to ease your work load for grade 12. Take econ, financials and accounting to get you set with some fundamentals.

Involve yourself in lots of extra-curricular activities (i.e. start a charity in Africa, cure HIV, etc.). Do something out of the ordinary to set yourself apart from other candidates. Also, a balance of variety, quantity and quality is a good thing (i.e. activities inside of school, workplace, volunteer, events, international trips/conferences, etc.).

Chancellor's award nominees usually have a greater chance at admission since you have to put some time in the supplementary forms for the award. By filling out those forms, you don't have to do the PSE essays. This can be advantageous since the supplementary forms for the award allows you to go more in depth with your ECs.

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of Super Super
You seem to be academically on track for a spot at Queen's Commerce. Don't underestimate grade 11 & 12, so keep up your work habits/ethics. Work especially hard in your maths as I've heard Queen's is math intensive. Take Data Management in grade 11 summer to ease your work load for grade 12. Take econ, financials and accounting to get you set with some fundamentals.

Involve yourself in lots of extra-curricular activities (i.e. start a charity in Africa, cure HIV, etc.). Do something out of the ordinary to set yourself apart from other candidates. Also, a balance of variety, quantity and quality is a good thing (i.e. activities inside of school, workplace, volunteer, events, international trips/conferences, etc.).

Chancellor's award nominees usually have a greater chance at admission since you have to put some time in the supplementary forms for the award. By filling out those forms, you don't have to do the PSE essays. This can be advantageous since the supplementary forms for the award allows you to go more in depth with your ECs.

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
Good for you for getting all 3 maths (y)

For the extracurriculars; I think super was a bit over-dramatic with the uniqueness of the ecs (for commerce. for chancellor-you may need something that different?). fundraisers are perfectly fine :) as super said, be well-rounded in your activity types, and show quality/dedication over quantity.

Perhaps also try clubs where you go for competitions? if you do well they can really boost you from just a "member" to a "winner" for different clubs.

luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman
Enjoy Grade 10, and to an extent Grade 12. Have some fun, and don't be stressed about anything.

For ECs, they are looking for a few things: long-term commitment (e.g. you've been doing it for 10+ years looks good), dedication (e.g. 20 hours per week on something is very impressive), leadership positions (e.g. starting up a charity and running it is much better than just raising a bit of money and participating in a walk to end whatever (please don't take this as saying those are bad, that is far from the case)), tangible results (e.g. "I raised $10,000 for charity by doing this..." is better than "I volunteered for a charity and did things"), and to an extent uniqueness (e.g. climbing Everest would be so much cooler than winning ICDC).

Also remember quality over quantity. So devote yourself to 2-4 ECs (some can only handle 1-2, others can get away with 4-5, the point is to have a few really good ECs vs a bunch of crap ECs).

Bear down in Grade 11 and 12 (mostly 12) and you're set.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ca2016 Ca2016
Sounds like its his/her Mom thats posting. Check out the vernacular of the post, definitely old school. Just saying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Super Super

@Ca2016 wrote
Sounds like its his/her Mom thats posting. Check out the vernacular of the post, definitely old school. Just saying.

Apparently, there are lots of parents on the United States version of Student Awards called "College Confidential". I've been shot down trying to joke about how parents who post threads on SA who have kids with no lives aside from high averages.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4

@BramptonHockey17 wrote
Thank you very much for the advice, windsong and caveman.

I can assure you all that I am a 15 year old male, and not my parent :P.

Looking back on my post, I suppose it could be considered old school; it might have something to do with my grandpa being an english professor. He may have passed on a few things ;). I was trying to sound professional, as most of you are probably older than me, and when I can't differentiate certain similar words, I tend to revert to the older ones, because I think they sound interesting, and often I can't think of anything else. I am quite fascinated with the english language, frankly.

I don't know whether to take offense to or be happy with the fact that you think I sound like my mom, though ;P

np :)
and the mom thing- lol don't worry :P it's a good thing with adults. just dont let it get too formal with kids (you dont have to be scared of us :P), and dont be too formal with apps because then you sound like you have no soul/personality.

:bigsmurf:
Was this helpful? Yes 0