yconic - Work Experience vs. Volunteerism
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Work Experience vs. Volunteerism

A photo of mry021397 mry021397
I'm a grade nine student and I'm looking to figure out where my priorities should be. One of the main questions that I'm wondering is in regards to work experience vs. volunteerism. Does anyone know what universities/scholarship "granters" (if that's the right word) see as more "valuable" in the admissions process? If my perspective of this entire topic is completely off, please let me know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of napinhei napinhei
Well, I don't know if this will help you...

Personally, I believe work experience is more valuable. Not only are you going to earn money in the process which you can put towards university, but it is reliable money that you know will exist. It is also valuable because it will help you at university if you decide to do co-op there.

That beind said, from my research I have seen that there are far more scholarships out there for people who have done a lot of volunteer work, who have made an impact on their community, who demonstrate themselves to be leaders, etc. Keep in mind, though, that even if teachers and counsellors tell you there are a lot of scholarships available and that they are easy to get because a lot of people don't apply, it isn't true. Perhaps they are right and not many people don't apply, but that doesn't make applying to scholarships easy. There hundreds of scholarships, but there are thousands upon thousands of people out there trying to get them. On top of that, there are scholarship requirements. Sometimes these requirements are being of a certain nationality, others require proof of financial need. If the government says you don't qualify for OSAP (or whatever funding depending on your province), regardless of the fact that you may not have money to fund your education, that is a ton of scholarships you instantly don't qualify for.

Seriously, just work your way through it and don't worry about tailouring your activities to what scholarship granters want. They aren't reliable enough to bother with.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I received a lot of scholarships for volunteerism, but I also had really high marks as well. I would say work experience will probably be more valuable in terms of actually getting money and it really looks good to future employers. Like napinhei said, scholarships are tough to get, and I wouldn't miss out on work experience because you think volunteering would look better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
I think marks should really be your top priority, then it's really up to you to work or volunteer. I suppose volunteer looks "better" especially to TD/Loran and a couple other big ones, but work experience will make you real money. So....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
Do you know what field or program you want to go into? Work experience and volunteering have varying degrees of importance depending where you apply. For example, work experience in the business field can be a huge asset on your resume.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mry021397 mry021397
I was looking to apply to a biology program. Neuroscience maybe? Beyond that I really don't know. I haven't really looked into options I just know that I'm looking to head into medicine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I've never actually had a real job.
Although this Summer I'm going to do Volunteering in some kind of Health area just to gain some better exposure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0