yconic - Workload/course load by faculties
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Workload/course load by faculties

A photo of x3wilson x3wilson
Is it true that Science and Engineering students from most universities get more courses compared to Arts or commerce students? Cuz I checked UBC's timetable for all 4 faculties. Seems like arts and commerce students have way lesser "classes" or "periods" each day, however you call them. And Science and Engineering are...intense :cyclops:

Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
They have labs. My science friends have about 4 hours of class more than me. Engineers have a lot of hours of class and at most universities are required to take 6 courses per semester compared to everyone else's 5.

So Arts faculties about 15 hour of class per week.
Science faculties about 20 hours of class per week.
Engineering faculties have aout 25-30 hours of class per week.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of x3wilson x3wilson
Thanks for that info:cheers:

By chance if you know about business/commerce?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
There was a post on the forums awhile back by a student accepted to both Schulich and EngSci. He was comparing the class hours and found that EngSci had to do ~30 hours while Schulich only had around 15.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew

@x3wilson wrote

By chance if you know about business/commerce?

Most business/commerce programs can be treated like arts. First two years I have about 15-17 hours, but the Ivey program at Western has about 25 hours of just class time (and I assume much more hours of case preparation).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Engineering programs have labs where you do work for a significant portion of the class, similar to high school. Business/commerce (or other programs) have ~15 hours filled with the professor lecturing, and any work is to be done outside of class. This accounts for some of the discrepancy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0