yconic - worried about acceptance
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

worried about acceptance

A photo of chuckbartowski chuckbartowski
Hey guys! I'm a new member here (which you can probably tell, of course) and you might not be able to help me but it's worth a shot. First of all, just from reading some of the posts on here, I can tell you guys are really smart and hardworking and are definitely going to do well in life so I hope you don't judge what I'm about to say.

I recently applied to Mohawk and Niagara (yeah, I know) and the last few weeks, I have constantly been feeling nervous about not getting in. I know to some of you, getting into Mohawk wouldn't be a big deal and would be easy but not for me. My average for grade 12 was 63% and I feel like that isn't good enough. Throughout high school, my average was 90% and over and even at first semester midterm marks, my average was 95% and I was in three U and one M class, but all of the sudden I started dealing with a lot of personal problems with my family, friends and even teachers which caused me to miss a lot of school and my marks to obviously drop.

Like I said, I know Mohawk may not seem like a big deal, but it is all I have going for me right now. Do any of you have any idea what the acceptance rate is like there because honestly, anything would be appreciated. I am constantly feeling awful thinking about this and just a little bit of reassurance would be great. It's just funny because a few years ago I was all about university and thought college was a joke because it's crazy how people can mess with your head.

I hope someone can help and if not, thank you so much for at least reading this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of g93 g93
I do not know a whole lot about these two particular colleges, but try filling out a supplementary form or sending an email or a letter to the admissions office of the colleges explaining why your marks have dropped. If you had 90s in other years, and 95 first term, I am sure that they would understand.

Hope that helps a little, and good luck! :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lmao lmao
I'm sorry to hear that, it still sounds like you have the potential to come back and get a 90 though, so why don't you figure something out with your guidance counselor and retake those courses or switch to a private school?

Take the U/M courses and get a 90+ again and apply university next year. That would be my advice. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony
Whoa, whoa, OK, if you have been getting 90s all your life and are now suddenly getting 60 percent, that doesn't mean you have to apply to colleges instead of universities or even low-tier universities suddenly! Obviously you are still a very smart person who has simply had a lot of their plate lately! Look, my opinion is, there's no rush! If your life is in shambles right now, do a victory lap and do Grade 12 over again. It's not a one-shot thing! You can retake classes and some universities will not even look at your original ones. Post-secondary education is a huge investment and very important in determining your future! Take some time to raise your marks. If you are having issues with friends and teachers, try changing schools for next year. And your family thing - I'm sure it will straighten out in a year. You can also do what g93 said and send in supplementary forms that explaining why you've faced a 30% drop since mid-terms. Don't just stop and give up on ever getting 90s again!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you guys so much for your input, I didn't think I'd have any replies so I really appreciate it. I sent an email to the admissions advisor for the programs I applied to and told her about everything and she said she doesn't see a problem with me getting in but I still can't shake off that nervous feeling, you know.

I am actually currently out of school, I graduated in June and I started a victory lap but my school was so overpopulated that they basically told me that since I already took the classes and didn't NEED them, that there's no point in me being there and they took me off the enrollment... and there aren't any other schools near me that are public schools, they're all Catholic and I am out of the boundaries for the rest. There is one school but it has high crime rates, there are always fights and there have even been stabbings and shots fired and that doesn't sound like something I want to be a part of.

Honestly, being in college isn't a problem for me because it would just be a year or two at the most and I would transfer for a university, but I just have this constant paranoia inside of me and I want it gone.

Thank you guys so much again, I really do appreciate it and good luck to all of you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AlyTurnbull AlyTurnbull
You sound like a smart person and i think that you will get in. It is tough waiting and even more so when you know your grades are not up to what they used to be. Just keep calm I bet you will do just fine. Best wishes!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats
Good luck :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
They would be idiotic not to accept you. You'll get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@VegaKrazmych wrote
They would be idiotic not to accept you. You'll get in.

+ 1

You can always transfer into university. I'm sure you could pull off fairly high marks in college if you were getting 90s before. :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ffcelik ffcelik
You'll do fine.

Yay.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
you sound like you're in the same situation that I'm in
except I still applied to uni and hey! I got in (waterloo life sciences here I come)

but seriously, sending in a supplementary letter from a doctor or psychologist or even guidance councillor will make a big difference
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gabid6 gabid6
I think basically all Grade 12's are freaked out about getting in. I honestly don't know about those two universities, but the best way to check out the admission averages is to check out their websites. What I did was take the average and just for safety measures added 2 or 3 %, and tried to maintain that average. Although on the sites they could say, for instance, the admission to Sciences is 85% average and up, depending on the year and number of applicants, it could be higher.

I've applied to UBC sciences this year, and it calls for a 90% average. I'm struggling to maintain that, and honestly it's quite stressful. When I applied, I found out there was a Science supplemental. You fill out two 250 word essays, one 500 word essay, and all your awards and achievements for the past 4 years. Submitting this let's the university see all your accomplishments, not just your average, and it's a good way to feel safer about getting in. I'm not sure if the two Unis you applied too, have this, but check it out, it might help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of crunchtime crunchtime
Hey don't worry about it. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders :). The colleges you are applying to should be understanding to your situation and the fact that you had 90's before shows the potential you have. Also Mohawk I believe has some joint programs with universities I believe.

As for your school thats really wrong you should have the equal opportunity to try again.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@crunchtime wrote
Hey don't worry about it. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders :). The colleges you are applying to should be understanding to your situation and the fact that you had 90's before shows the potential you have. Also Mohawk I believe has some joint programs with universities I believe.

As for your school thats really wrong you should have the equal opportunity to try again.

That's what I thought but apparently I was wrong. I kind of ended grade twelve on a bad note so I went back with a bad reputation which was completely not my fault at all but all the teachers and students looked at me like a bad person.

Anyways, I got accepted to Niagara today!!!! I was in tears I was so excited haha now I'm just waiting for Mohawk. Thank you all again for all the reassurance, it was definitely very comforting :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Shannie Shannie
WAITING IS HARD....this is building my patience
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
Glad to hear it, congratulations!
Was this helpful? Yes 0