yconic - Worried About Admission
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Worried About Admission

A photo of Student8888 Student8888
Hello All.

Just sent my applications to U of T, Queens, Waterloo, and UBC for Bsc (Applied Bio).

Here Are the Marks I applied With:

- Math ~ 89%
- Calculus~ 87%
- Physics~ 84%
- Chemistry~ 86%
- Biology~ 87%
- English~ 72%

Overall Average: 84.2%

I was wondering if I can get in with my marks. I was also wondering if they check your grade 11 marks because my average in grade 11 was around 64%.

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Xenova Xenova

@Student8888 wrote
Hello All.

Just sent my applications to U of T, Queens, Waterloo, and UBC for Bsc (Applied Bio).

- Math ~ 89%
- Calculus~ 87%
- Physics~ 84%
- Chemistry~ 86%
- Biology~ 87%
- English~ 72%

I was wondering if I can get in with my marks. I was also wondering if they check your grade 11 marks because my average in grade 11 was around 64%.

Thanks.

I don't think you have a chance at UBC, sorry. First round of admission (which has passed, I believe) at UBC is based on your gr.11 marks and final grade 12 marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jsonga Jsonga
You will get into U of T and Waterloo. Queens and UBC are a longshot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I find it strange that a university would base decisions on Grade 11. Makes me want to start writing SATs and go to the States. Really poor decision making in my opinion. Grade 12 is the year where a student demonstrates how he/she will study in post secondary circumstances, not grade 11.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mercurial Mercurial

@Student8888 wrote

@Xenova wrote

@Student8888 wrote
Hello All.

- Math ~ 89%
- Calculus~ 87%
- Physics~ 84%
- Chemistry~ 86%
- Biology~ 87%
- English~ 72%

Thanks.

I don't think you have a chance at UBC, sorry. First round of admission (which has passed, I believe) at UBC is based on your gr.11 marks and final grade 12 marks.

I find it strange that a university would base decisions on Grade 11. Makes me want to start writing SATs and go to the States. Really poor decision making in my opinion. Grade 12 is the year where a student demonstrates how he/she will study in post secondary circumstances, not grade 11.

Universities in the States base their decision on all four years of high school...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Just did some more reading and discovered that Canadian Universities do look at your Gr 11 marks, but only to compare them to grade 12 marks and to see how much you've improved. Also they only really consider grade 11 marks if you're applying for early admission.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AdJan AdJan

@Student8888 wrote

I would have to strongly disagree.
Basing your decision off one year makes reasoning very skewed with no solid reasoning. I do not like how Canadian universities mainly base admission on grade 12 performance because students take advantage of that; slack the first three years and do all nighters in the last year.

I know current students who have been getting 60 - 70 averages in grades 9 through 11 but push it up to low 90s in grade 12, while at the same time I've been getting averages of high 80s to low 90s all throughout the four years. Both pools of applicants have the same grade 12 grades, how do universities know which pool will succeed at their school? They don't simply because their scope is so skewed that it's difficult to differentiate the successful students apart from the lazy ones.

If Canadian universities took the initiative to look through all four years of high school, they can more easily weed out the weak students who probably won't be successful.

Consistency over for years makes it easier to dictate a student's future performance rather than solely basing it on a single year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0