yconic - Worried about career prospects in computer science... (VS genetics?)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Worried about career prospects in computer science... (VS genetics?)

A photo of Stranger Stranger
I've been reading these comments:
http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/57827

None of their comments are really new to me, but it's starting to worry me now.

Also, my mom wants me to go into genetics now because apparently the genetics field will be booming. I don't trust her sources. :P

Argh, so stressed out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of waazup waazup
I'll tell you what will be booming.

Tech, Finance, Nursing

Medical will usually be there, but you gotta be the best and become a bookworm for like the next decade. I remind you, sometimes no one will hire you even if you have a crazy degree, at least for a while.

Accounting is usually available also, CA is always in demand.

But this is just me. Anything can happen. Obama can change this.

The one and ONLY thing I would be scared to go in the tech industry is the long term prospects. I have read everywhere, and I also believe its true, that once you become older you'll start getting laid off, etc. since newer grads will have better knowledge of technology than you...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of YourAvgKid YourAvgKid

@waazup wrote

Tech, Finance, Nursing

Medical will usually be there, but you gotta be the best and become a bookworm for like the next decade. I remind you, sometimes no one will hire you even if you have a crazy degree, at least for a while.

The one and ONLY thing I would be scared to go in the tech industry is the long term prospects. I have read everywhere, and I also believe its true, that once you become older you'll start getting laid off, etc. since newer grads will have better knowledge of technology than you...

Where do you get your sources? Technology is obviously booming but you got to be up to date with everything, it's a pain in the ass unless you really enjoy tech. Nurses are always needed but I consider more of a labour job.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy
http://www.csd.uwo.ca/Welcome/jobs.html
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@YourAvgKid wrote

@waazup wrote

Tech, Finance, Nursing

Where do you get your sources? Technology is obviously booming but you got to be up to date with everything, it's a pain in the ass unless you really enjoy tech. Nurses are always needed but I consider more of a labour job.

Nurses a labour job..? You realize that you DO need to go to college/uni for that right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0