yconic - would i get accepted?!?!
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

would i get accepted?!?!

A photo of RaCsO RaCsO
i am a grade 11 student in an ontario high school. i have heard that grade 11 marks doesnt count, other than for early acceptance. i am having a 70% in english right now. i have about 97% in gr.11 pre-ap math, and i have around 87% in all my other classes. and i predict i would have them up to 90% in gr.12 (gotta work hard :S)

so for grade 12, should i put my english at the second semester, so when i apply they wouldn't see my horrible english mark.
But than i thought about weather they would look at my gr 11. english since they dont have my gr.12 english mark yet.

Also i am planning to apply to UW, UofT, for actuarial science. would they consider the top 6? or would they include the prerequisites in it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of RaCsO RaCsO
so basically my question is:
- does gr.11 english affect my marks?? even a little bit??
- should i place english in 2nd semester or 1st semester
- if i have in gr.12 a 70% in english, but around 90% in all my other classes, would the english mark really affect my chance??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
1. Grade 11 marks don't matter except for early acceptance
2. Prereqs for the program will be included in the top 6 calculation
3. Doesn't really matter if you take grade 12 English in 1st/2nd semester..either way it is a prereq and HAS to be included in your admission average. If you take it in 2nd sem then it will take longer to be accepted (since they only have a midterm mark for that in Feb-March).
4. If you had mid-high 90s in your other courses then it might compensate for a 70 but actuarial science is quite competitive and difficult to get into..my friends in actuarial science (at Waterloo) had 98% and 96% admission averages. You should try and bring up your English mark if possible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AkumaChan AkumaChan
You'll want to look at admission deadlines, along with prerequisites or specific courses you need for a program.

I was just offered admission to the University of Calgary, and the way they have it set up is pretty easy. Say you started your application in the middle of first semester Grade 12. You would put in the current marks you have in courses you have that semester and label them 'In Progress'. For courses you take the next semester, either list your marks from grade 11, or what you expect to get in that semester, and label it 'Planning to Take'.
Almost every degree program requires English 12, but it doesn't really matter what semester you take it. As long as you end up with the required average for your choice of program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx

@inthemaking wrote
1. Grade 11 marks don't matter except for early acceptance
2. Prereqs for the program will be included in the top 6 calculation
3. Doesn't really matter if you take grade 12 English in 1st/2nd semester..either way it is a prereq and HAS to be included in your admission average. If you take it in 2nd sem then it will take longer to be accepted (since they only have a midterm mark for that in Feb-March).
4. If you had mid-high 90s in your other courses then it might compensate for a 70 but actuarial science is quite competitive and difficult to get into..my friends in actuarial science (at Waterloo) had 98% and 96% admission averages. You should try and bring up your English mark if possible.

1. They don't matter for the most part. Certain programs (I've only heard of one) will use them as well as first semester grade twelve and make ALL decisions in March.. Conestoga-Mac nursing.
2. Correct
3. Correct
4.Correct... I only had a 70 in eng4u but my average was still 87 so it didn't matter (which is not near at 98 or 96, but i'm just saying it really doesn't matter as long as your other marks are high enough)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of joannalailai joannalailai
I think you should take English in your first semester because you will know what your average is roughly and you can retake any courses in second semester to bump up your average afterwards. Even if you get accepted for early admission for first semester, they require you to maintain your average and English is really important. So I would suggest you to take English first sem.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@joannalailai wrote
I think you should take English in your first semester because you will know what your average is roughly and you can retake any courses in second semester to bump up your average afterwards. Even if you get accepted for early admission for first semester, they require you to maintain your average and English is really important. So I would suggest you to take English first sem.

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of annamaria annamaria
Some schools allow you to apply with your grade 11 marks and then let you declare your grade 12 last minute

I would say if your aiming for a good school and high marks AVOID C's at all costs aim to get atleast 73 percent (B) but keep in mind you must have atleast 68% in Gr 11 english to be eligable for some schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0