yconic - Would I have made the cut? (AEO Status)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Would I have made the cut? (AEO Status)

A photo of masonuwo masonuwo
Hey Guys,

I am a prospective HBA student (Non-AEO) and I was just looking back to some of my marks from grade 12 wondering if I would have got accepted for AEO status had I applied from high school?

I don't know much about the AEO application, but I know I wouldn't have had any trouble writing top-level essays, and my EC's + work experiences were very extensive throughout my 4 years. I had great recommendations but my top 6 average–top 5 U-level courses + English was only 87% (with some MAJOR screw ups on my part in a couple of classes that should have been avoided–not that it mattered then or now)

I know there's a lot of AEO's out there who have much better knowledge of the AEO application process over me, so what do you think? Would I have made it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
It depends on a variety of things: competitiveness of applicants, how good your EC's actually are, your supplementary essay, etc.

With a 87% average, you just meet the cut-off so I'd guess your EC's would have to be quite impressive. There is no definite answer to this since it totally depends. On paper, I should've gotten it and didn't.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You're right, it can be pretty unpredictable year to year..

I know of a few AEOs who got their status last year and the year before who were completely different in marks and ECs.. and some got in with a 90.. one got rejected with a 92.. and he was pretty involved too

It kind of sucks how your application could have been accepted the year before/after.. That's life i suppose! :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of abc321 abc321

@masonuwo wrote
Hey Guys,

I am a prospective HBA student (Non-AEO) and I was just looking back to some of my marks from grade 12 wondering if I would have got accepted for AEO status had I applied from high school?

I don't know much about the AEO application, but I know I wouldn't have had any trouble writing top-level essays, and my EC's + work experiences were very extensive throughout my 4 years. I had great recommendations but my top 6 average–top 5 U-level courses + English was only 87% (with some MAJOR screw ups on my part in a couple of classes that should have been avoided–not that it mattered then or now)

I know there's a lot of AEO's out there who have much better knowledge of the AEO application process over me, so what do you think? Would I have made it?

Just outta curiousity, what are your marks/ECs like now?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@abc321 wrote

I just finished Year 2 at Western and I blew my 84% cumulative average during second semester of this past year.. dropping to a 79% on my 10.0 credits.

My EC's are pretty strong in my opinion.. I am a coach of a youth soccer team, I run various training camps for my old high school varsity teams (football, rugby), My family runs a family golf tournament that has raised about $70k for charity over the last 5 years, and I have my own print and packaging business that sells to some pretty reputable companies.

I also have a great deal of work experience.. I worked the typical DQ and Timmies jobs as a manager and now I work at the University for the summer writing business plans for some of the major research projects.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iveyguy iveyguy
That's rough dude. However, you pretty well need an 80+ if you're a non-AEO applying. They want to fill as many spots with AEOs as possible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of abc321 abc321

@masonuwo wrote

@abc321 wrote

I just finished Year 2 at Western and I blew my 84% cumulative average during second semester of this past year.. dropping to a 79% on my 10.0 credits.

My EC's are pretty strong in my opinion.. I am a coach of a youth soccer team, I run various training camps for my old high school varsity teams (football, rugby), My family runs a family golf tournament that has raised about $70k for charity over the last 5 years, and I have my own print and packaging business that sells to some pretty reputable companies.

I also have a great deal of work experience.. I worked the typical DQ and Timmies jobs as a manager and now I work at the University for the summer writing business plans for some of the major research projects.

I see that you got into Ivey, congrats!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@abc321 wrote

@masonuwo wrote

@abc321 wrote

I see that you got into Ivey, congrats!

Thank you! :)

It still bugs me that I didn't apply AEO.. but I guess it doesn't matter anymore :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0