yconic - would it be advisable if i were to take university english 12 in summer school?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

would it be advisable if i were to take university english 12 in summer school?

A photo of mmousee mmousee
again, a few more complications with course selections for next year.
im interested in going into engineering, but considering that i go to a catholic school (thus, it is mandatory to take religion all four years) i wont have enough space for the courses ill need.
and since we are unable to take religion during the summer (oh how i wish we were able to though), im thinking of taking grade 12 english this summer for the month of july.
i had a friend who took english 12 in summer school and by the end of the month she had a 90.
im just wondering taking english in summer school would be a bad thing to do.
are there a lot of essays in engineering at university? would it prepare me enough? so far ive been getting low to mid 90s in english the past 2.5 years.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
If your applying for engineering do it in the summer if your able to. My friends who did it receive high marks even though some of them suck at english. You will write lab reports but not much in the way of essays in the sense your thiking. Physics and chem will prepare enough for labs. Plus you wont have to worry about it next year and you'll free up some time in your schedule.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DoctorLawyerDentist DoctorLawyerDentist
I have also heard rumors that some of the more competitive programs (mech and engsci at UofT and waterloo) look down on on summer school courses for top 6. Not sure if this is true or if they deduct percentages when looking at them (and how much).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of futuredoc futuredoc

@DoctorLawyerDentist wrote
I have also heard rumors that some of the more competitive programs (mech and engsci at UofT and waterloo) look down on on summer school courses for top 6. Not sure if this is true or if they deduct percentages when looking at them (and how much).

I highly doubt that this is true...when you're transcript is sent in to universities, they just see the course code and your mark, it doesn't say if you took it in day school, night school, summer school, etc. So bottom line, your mark is worth just the same no matter where or when you did it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele

@mmousee wrote
again, a few more complications with course selections for next year.
im interested in going into engineering, but considering that i go to a catholic school (thus, it is mandatory to take religion all four years) i wont have enough space for the courses ill need.
and since we are unable to take religion during the summer (oh how i wish we were able to though), im thinking of taking grade 12 english this summer for the month of july.
i had a friend who took english 12 in summer school and by the end of the month she had a 90.
im just wondering taking english in summer school would be a bad thing to do.
are there a lot of essays in engineering at university? would it prepare me enough? so far ive been getting low to mid 90s in english the past 2.5 years.

I go to a Catholic school too, and I'm applying to engineering also. Are you sure you won't have enough space?

Prereq's for Engineering:

Physics
Chemistry
Calculus
English
One of Biology, Advanced Functions, Computer Science or Earth & Space Science (I think)

You also need a sixth M or U level course, but since religion is an M, that's accounted for.

Unless you're applying to an engineering program with different prerequisites...you should be okay without doing summer school at all!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kchung kchung
I don't know how much they care about when you took English as long as you kind of have a reason why. I was planning to take nine 12U courses so I had to take one during the summer. I ended up dropping a course around the same time I applied though.

I would say that it's taking kind of a chance doing it in the summer 'cause you never know how your teacher's gonna be, and if you HATE English like I do, a full day of it for 20 days is pretty brutal. I didn't get a mark as high as I would have liked but it wasn't bad or anything.

One thing I can say though is there's a lot less stress during the school year w/o having the extra workload during the year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I would say yes, but it really depends on the kind of student you are.
I took English 12 over the summer last year and it was the best choice I have EVER made.
I ended up coming out with a 95 by the end of the month, which is pretty solid for university applications.
If you can keep up with all the work, then do it. There's constant essays and reading to do. I have to literally write an essay every other day. There was also a LOT of reading.. we were expected to finish a novel in a week, as well as answer questions about it, write paragraphs/essays on it.. and post discussions on a forum about it.
Teachers tend to mark a little easier in summer school, since they know that it's a lot of pressure to write in such a short time frame.
It's even easier online, or at least I found it easier, since I was allowed to type up all my essays and assignments.
But I never plan my essays anyhow. Free writing is the way to go.
:cheers:
It takes a lot of self motivation, but I would definitely say that it's worth it in the end if you can keep up with it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tobias Tobias
Go for it, keep in mind everything goes by at an insane pace. One day in class is equivalent to a week or maybe more in regular school. I remember my teacher handing out a reading like assignment along with a presentation. She said how the assignment should take about 2 weeks in regular school but here she only gave us 3 days. You have to keep yourself on pace but it worked out nicely for me even though English still turned out to be the lowest of my top 6 entry courses lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0