yconic - Would Like Your Opinions! :)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Would Like Your Opinions! :)

A photo of code07 code07
Hey guys,

New to the forums, and its my first post (and first thread--duh? lol). I have a question, or rather a dilemma, that I would really appreciate your help and opinion on.

It's a bit of a long story but I'll try my best to make it short:

The last time time I took the math was 2 years ago---took 3U functions and did quite well with an 87%. The teacher was great and all, allowing us to repeat quizzes. We probably had 2 or 3 max. quizzes for each unit. I don't think the quizzes were worth much.

Right now I'm taking the advanced functions (MHF4U) and the semester started on Friday. By the end of the class, the teacher handed out some review questions from grade 11 and I looked at them and couldn't answer or had any clue on how to answer these questions. I mean yeah I do remember that I did this stuff and I was pretty good it (except some trigonometric functions stuff) but I really had no clue whatsoever.

By the end of the period, I talked to the teacher about my situation. After I told her my mark, she really recommended to me to continue with the 4U, she even went to say that it would be cruel for her to recommend to me to take the grade 11 again.
I needed more opinions, so I went and asked all of the guidance counsellors at my school and they pretty much said the same thing: as long as you apply yourself and work hard every damn day you should still do well.

I really am willing to do whatever is best to do and that includes taking the grade 11 again. Just to be clear, I'm not leaning towards taking the grade 11 3U again and vice versa, just to be clear :) I will also seriously work hard and apply myself.

Now suppose that I get like an 80% or something lower (not that its my goal) than the high 80s which I need for the programs that I'm considering, I have thought and did some research about universities' policies on repeated grade 12 courses.

My plan after high school is to get into an undergrad program that will enable me to apply to med school. So far I'm aware of Health Sciences, Life Sciences, Kinesiology, and to my surprise, Biology (its surprising because the average req. is really not that high, somewhere in the 70s). I'm sure some universities accept people with all sorts of degrees (like McMaster), but I really want to have an undergrad degree that's related to the sciences.

I used einfo and I read pretty much all of the important stuff about every single university in Ontario. It seems that U of Toronto state openly that they have the right to give preference for applicants who got the required avg. on their first attempt, and the Engineering programs at Waterloo might deduct some %'s depending on how many grade 12s required repeated courses you have.

What concerns me is that even if the university and the program website don't state they don't prefer applicants who do well 1st time, they might actually do it. I'm not saying they are not saying the truth or anything, its just that programs like Life Sciences and Kinesiology for example are still competitive so it might happen). I really am willing to go to any university in Ontario that accepts me for any of these programs or other programs that I'm not aware of which will enable me to apply for med school.

Again, sorry for long story but I really wanted to be a bit detailed just to make things more clear :)

Thanks, I'm really looking forwards to reading the opinions!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
I'm really lazy right now and just kind of skimmed through that, so I'm not sure what exactly you're looking to get opinions on. If it's about the problems you're having remembering 3U Functions, I would recommend just going over the course really quickly. I find Khan Academy a really good place to review some things. Look through the topics and watch the videos for the ones you're having trouble with, to refresh your memory: http://www.khanacademy.org/

Do your best for the first time around and try and avoid repeating the course. Some universities will take your higher mark, but others will frown deeply upon it, especially for programs such as the ones you're interested in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LooMech LooMech
I would suggest you dont worry too much about grade 11 functions. Like at the beginning of Advance Functions, your teacher has probably given you a review package( i think you mentioned that in your first post). Just try going to teachers for help and getting those questions done. Apart from some exceptions, there are many things from grade 11 functions that u might not even need in MHF. I, along with a few other colleagues found MHF generally easier then grade 11U Functions. If you work hard, you`ll be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I forget what I learn all the time and just relearn it again. Even in university. You should be OK.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of code07 code07
Alright, thanks for the replies so far :)

I'm gonna go over the questions and the topics by using KhanAcademy and a number of other resources.

@engineersrock
Actually, a career in engineering is my back up (though I'm willing to go to a number of European countries or the Caribbean if things really get crazy). As far as I know, for all engineering programs, you first year will include 'general' engineering, and then you will decide what you want to major in for the next 4 years (so it's, I think, 5 years in total). So I don't really know what exactly you mean when say 'engineering students'. Like someone in his 2nd year, 4th year? Because it doesn't really make sense to spend 5 years to become an engineer and then apply to med school, if that's what you mean.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ktel ktel
So much falsehood in this thread. To clear it up:

1. Engineering schools with a general first year still have 4 year degrees, unless you do co-op. So first year is general, next three years are more specialized
2. To go to med school you do NOT need an undergrad degree. I know people who have gotten in after 2-3 years of undergrad. However, a large portion of students do complete their degree first. If you are taking engineering you would probably have to take all 4 years to get the necessary med school prerequisites courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of code07 code07
Well, it does make sense to become an engineer and then apply to med school (haha how great would it be to become both a doctor and an engineer). I've discussed this with my guidance counsellor and I was told that the engineering programs are quite difficult (perhaps more difficult than Life Sciences or Kinesiology?) so my GPA might not be as high when compared to other undergrad programs that will still enable you to apply to med school. I'm not quite sure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Not many people do that because everyone thinks engineering is one of the hardest programs to get a good GPA in. Everyone likes the idea of having a backup as solid as engineering, but many people are scared they won't be able to get a good GPA in engineering as opposed to life science/something "easier" (or they're just not interested in engineering at all). Of course, people do it every year so it's obviously a viable option...but honestly I've had quite a few older friends who thought of doing this...then they underestimated their program and now medical school is pretty much out of the question for them with their current marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Academentia Academentia
^I agree. My dad is a doctor. Medical schools care HUGELY about GPA. Its really hard to get a high GPA in engineering so it's very risky for the average person. I guess it should not be surprising that med schools like engineers who have high GPAs since they aren't too common.

Bu also it can be hard to fit in the courses needed for med school with engineering because engineering requires a lot of courses and so there isn't much room for things like biology.

What I don't understand is why someone who thinks they would love to be a doctor would also love to be an engineer. I mean sure that happens. But someone in highschool who is wanting to be a doctor OR engineer sounds like they are just picking a job because of status or money or what theyr parents want them to do rather than based upon what your interests and abilities are.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of code07 code07
Umm, I didn't say I want to be both a doctor and an engineer. I only said it would be cool if you can be both. And nowhere else do I mention money and status as reasons for why I want to become a doctor, so I don't really know where you're coming with this stuff.

Anyways, back to topic, I guess I will concentrate on the undergrad science programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I had the grades in my undergrad to go into med school from engineering, but I would have had to take an extra semester or maybe even year to get the required biology and chemistry courses for admission. I dabbled in some biomedical engineering research in my last year and found it incredibly interesting, I think the knowledge that med school could provide would be really great for that line of research, but I think you could also just learn it without going to med school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0