yconic - Would this be a good idea.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Would this be a good idea.

A photo of mlegosz mlegosz
You know your finances better than I do, so if you are set on studying business and this seems to be the best use of your money, then go for it.

Conestoga is one of the better colleges, and I've heard good things about the business degree program there.

You should be able to apply for most Masters programs (just check the prerequisites, and remember that work experience is often a big part of admissions at some schools). Waterloo does not have a Masters business program (or any business programs).
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of caveman caveman
You know your finances better than I do, so if you are set on studying business and this seems to be the best use of your money, then go for it.

Conestoga is one of the better colleges, and I've heard good things about the business degree program there.

You should be able to apply for most Masters programs (just check the prerequisites, and remember that work experience is often a big part of admissions at some schools). Waterloo does not have a Masters business program (or any business programs).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@mlegosz wrote

@caveman wrote

Oh I know, I was only using waterloo as an example. But thank you for the advice!

Waterloo hax Masters of accounting.

I never heard of that college. If you are set on business and want to go far in it, go to a top tier school. Schulich is only $7500 per year + $400/month rent if you need. I finished school with 92.3 and scholarships I got covered all of my tuition and I still have money left over. Even if you don't get full scholarships, borrowing in this case migt be a good idea if you're set on business. Opportunities you can get here are incredible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
I agree with mintok - schulich is an AMAZING program with reallyyyyy cheap tuition fees- lower than conestoga from what i can telll and its reputation is much better -better job opportunities and master's school opportunities (US schools have taken schulich students for masters)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@MINTOK wrote

@mlegosz wrote

@caveman wrote

Oh I know, I was only using waterloo as an example. But thank you for the advice!

Waterloo hax Masters of accounting.

No, the MAcc program is exclusive to AFM, Math/CA and Biotech/CA students.

@MINTOK wrote

I never heard of that college. If you are set on business and want to go far in it, go to a top tier school. Schulich is only $7500 per year + $400/month rent if you need. I finished school with 92.3 and scholarships I got covered all of my tuition and I still have money left over. Even if you don't get full scholarships, borrowing in this case migt be a good idea if you're set on business. Opportunities you can get here are incredible.

Going to Laurier would work too. It's slightly cheaper than Schulich I think, you have an opportunity to get into co-op and get some income to offset the tuition costs (which will be similar to Conestoga's), they give out plenty of scholarship money, and then you can stay in the area, where you can (presumably) share rent with your mother/family, and also you can get a part-time job easier.

I hardly even looked at Conestoga's tuition costs. Since they are so high, it hardly seems worth it. If it was cheaper, it wouldn't be so bad. If you were looking to get into accounting, Conestoga is looking at getting all 51 credit hours for the CA designation and you could also go the CMA/CGA route. In this case there wouldn't be as big of an advantage going to Schulich or Laurier and paying more tuition. But if they're similar, I'd look at these two options.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
I would take a year off to work, save up some money, write some scholarship stuff maybe.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@MINTOK wrote

The expenses associated with living on your own and not commuting are much higher than just $400/month on rent. I spend about $1200/month on rent, food, transit, entertainment, etc. That's an extra $10,000 over 8 months.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@ktel wrote

@MINTOK wrote

The expenses associated with living on your own and not commuting are much higher than just $400/month on rent. I spend about $1200/month on rent, food, transit, entertainment, etc. That's an extra $10,000 over 8 months.

If you live at home, you have those expenses as well. It's not like living at home means you don't eat or don't buy cloths. However, if you rent a olace in Toronto, you can replace your expenses for a car with a $104 cost of metro pass. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of redherring redherring

@MINTOK wrote

@ktel wrote

@MINTOK wrote

If you live at home, you have those expenses as well. It's not like living at home means you don't eat or don't buy cloths. However, if you rent a olace in Toronto, you can replace your expenses for a car with a $104 cost of metro pass. ;)

It's cheaper to live in K-W though, the OP can share rent and food costs with his/her mother and/or siblings, and the local universities' student cards act as bus passes for the region.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CMA2014 CMA2014

@mlegosz wrote
Hello, I am a 19 year old who finished school last year with a 94 average. The problem is that I do not have any money. I live with my mother and she also don't have much money since she immigrated from Poland many many years ago and has worked on farms all her life. I am completely relying on scholarships, OSAP, and bank loans.

Anyways, I am looking for a school I can commute to, and this is the only option I have found as it is 30 minutes away and seems like a decent program. (http://www.conestogac.on.ca/fulltime/1241C.jsp)
It would cost me ~$8,500.00 a year plus gasoline. Compared to a university which would cost anywhere from $16,000-$22,000. I'd finish with a bachelors of business administration (after 4 years).

Does this seem like a good idea? I am also planning and going to grad school afterwards. Would I be able to apply to a university such as waterloo to get my masters?

Thank you to everyone who helps me!

Queen's University has very, VERY generous bursaries. My parents are contributing nothing to my education, and I am able to sustain myself through part time job through the school, and the bursaries/loans/grants offered by Queen's and OSAP.
Was this helpful? Yes 0