yconic - Year Off
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Year Off

A photo of maddex maddex
I decided to take a year off, and to apply to UBC and Mcgill next year. I don't want to to go Waterloo anymore. However, I am scared that I might not get in because my final average is low, 86. Math screwed me over. Do you think I have a chance at getting into UBC Arts or Mcgill Arts with an 86, or should I eclass a new course? I am from Ontario.

English 88
Extended French 91
Philosophy 90
World History 90
Writer's Craft 83
Data Management 74

Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of heesoup heesoup
You are on the borderline for both schools. I know that UBC is really tough to get in, but since you are from Ontario, they cut you some slack...at least that is what I have noticed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ Why would they cut you slack if you're from Ontario?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
If you're already taking the year off you could take some of your time to re-do that course and increase your average.

In Ontario you have a bunch of options; night school, saturday school, summer school, virtual school or ILC.

If you could do it again and get a better grade then you'd be a lot more sure about getting accepted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@ktel wrote
^ Why would they cut you slack if you're from Ontario?

They don't say this, but I have noticed. I know people in Ontario who had 70-85 averages who got in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0