yconic - York Biochem vs UTSG Life Sciences
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

York Biochem vs UTSG Life Sciences

A photo of Husain Husain
I want to know which university will be a better choice if I am trying to pursue Med School after undergrad. I know I can get a high GPA at york but at UofT i will have better research oppertunities. Which is more important for getting accepted into Med School? Also, I was wondering what are the chances of me getting a high GPA, say enough to get into medschool, at U of T. I'm a pretty strong student 96% Bio
100% history
95% Calculus
100% Chem
97% Physics
90% English
These are my marks in highschool. Can i get an estimate as to what GPA this will translate into at UTSG life sci?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of FiresinX FiresinX

@Husain wrote
I want to know which university will be a better choice if I am trying to pursue Med School after undergrad. I know I can get a high GPA at york but at UofT i will have better research oppertunities. Which is more important for getting accepted into Med School? Also, I was wondering what are the chances of me getting a high GPA, say enough to get into medschool, at U of T. I'm a pretty strong student 96% Bio
100% history
95% Calculus
100% Chem
97% Physics
90% English
These are my marks in highschool. Can i get an estimate as to what GPA this will translate into at UTSG life sci?

Your marks scare me (bad way), how do you get a 100% in any course? I had a 99% in calculus and the principle called me to her office and said she has to lower the mark...was a 96% after.

Anyways, I would stay away from York biochem if you want to come to york since 90% of the students drop out of biochem after first year (york's chem department is terrible & brutal). If you want to come to york, come for something else, but anything related to chem is terrible as their tests & profs are brutal...good luck
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
Chemistry at UofT is brutal too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo
Med schools in Canada don't look at where you got your undergrad but med schools in the states do. Where do you want to go? If it's in the states, the better university and research opportunities will put you miles ahead of a slightly higher GPA at an unknown university without research.

UTSG will definitely be more difficult than York (the general atmosphere is more competitive. I don't mean that York students aren't driven but with the lower cutoffs etc, it's easier to be the upper end of your class) but you shouldn't be afraid of it. With marks like yours I'm sure you'll do amazingly at both.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of FiresinX FiresinX

@jessiexo wrote
Med schools in Canada don't look at where you got your undergrad but med schools in the states do. Where do you want to go? If it's in the states, the better university and research opportunities will put you miles ahead of a slightly higher GPA at an unknown university without research.

UTSG will definitely be more difficult than York (the general atmosphere is more competitive. I don't mean that York students aren't driven but with the lower cutoffs etc, it's easier to be the upper end of your class) but you shouldn't be afraid of it. With marks like yours I'm sure you'll do amazingly at both.

High school marks aren't a good indication, especially if your school gives 100% in any science course (super easy school).

I agree UTSG will be harder than York, but UTSG will give you "x" number of bell curves which York never gives. York, you screw up, your done. UTSG the prof. does a bellcurve if you guys screw up so I prefer UTSG.
Was this helpful? Yes 0