yconic - York Kinesiology or Waterloo
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

York Kinesiology or Waterloo

A photo of jesaczek jesaczek
Hey,

I'm planning to commute to either of both schools. It seems that waterloo has the better of the two however the further one. Also note I'm going for the B.Sc. I'm looking to apply to medical school so i'm mainly interested in a science rich course ... not so much of the social sciences.
The thing is I live about 95km away from waterloo and 45 from York... Would waterloo be worth the extra 50km's? Do any of you know what courses are taught in 1st year in both?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of nickanm nickanm
You plan on commuting to Waterloo from 95 kms away? That will surely take you at least 2 hours in each direction! If living near or on campus is not an option for you, I would immediately disregard Waterloo based on that principle alone.

I'm assuming you live in York Region like me, so commuting to York is still a mission but it's not terrible. York is certainly easier than Waterloo so if you're debating as to which school will get you a higher gpa, I think the clear answer is York
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Uncotran Uncotran
Somewhat agree with ^.
Waterloo is a very far commute for you I think you'd find it very tedious.
I would recommend it over york if you could go, and just because its easier to get a high GPA with york, does not mean its the better school.

Waterloo has a better rep than york (york is a joke if you care about rep). Besides, waterloo pretty much gears you up for med school as many of your pre-reqs are there for you, plus the program overall is very good. I know that both school offer kadavres in first year, however Waterloo is definitely more science based than york is. York requires you to take PKins, which is essentially gym class (a waste of time IMO).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner

@Uncotran wrote
Somewhat agree with ^.
Waterloo is a very far commute for you I think you'd find it very tedious.
I would recommend it over york if you could go, and just because its easier to get a high GPA with york, does not mean its the better school.

Waterloo has a better rep than york (york is a joke if you care about rep). Besides, waterloo pretty much gears you up for med school as many of your pre-reqs are there for you, plus the program overall is very good. I know that both school offer kadavres in first year, however Waterloo is definitely more science based than york is. York requires you to take PKins, which is essentially gym class (a waste of time IMO).

Actually York has an excellent reputation with regards to its Kinesiology program. It may have a lower rep for its other programs, but it is well-known for kin.

OP: the commute to Waterloo will make it very difficult to have a life outside of school. So unless you plan on getting a place to live in Waterloo (either on or off campus) then I would go with York. Both York and Waterloo have excellent kinesiology programs, they just have slightly different areas of expertise.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Uncotran Uncotran

@CatRunner wrote

Actually York has an excellent reputation with regards to its Kinesiology program. It may have a lower rep for its other programs, but it is well-known for kin.

I was referring to the University's rep as a whole; York's kine program is very well known, however York university is also well known for many unattractive reasons I don't need to mention.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of FiresinX FiresinX

@Uncotran wrote

@CatRunner wrote

I was referring to the University's rep as a whole; York's kine program is very well known, however York university is also well known for many unattractive reasons I don't need to mention.

I agree york is sometimes a bit dangerous but as long as your with friends and not on campus at night in weird locations, your good to go.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dolche29 dolche29
Hey,

As a student who went to UW for kin, I can tell you what courses are taken in the first year. I don't know about western though. BTW, this is copied from UW's website.

Fall
KIN 104 Issues and Approaches in Kinesiology
KIN 255 Introduction to Psychomotor Behaviour
BIOL 130 Introductory Cell Biology
PHYS 111 Physics 1
CHEM 120 Physical and Chemical Properties of Matter
CHEM 120L* Chemical Reaction Laboratory 1
*Recommended for those considering the Pre-Health Professions Option

Winter
KIN 100, 100L Human Anatomy: Limbs and Trunk, Lab
KIN 101 Biophysical Evaluation Lab
BIOL 273 Principles of Human Physiology I
PSYCH 101 Introductory Psychology
SOC 101 Introduction to Sociology

Also note that if you are in the Pre-health option, instead of taking PSYCH 101 in the second term, you will take CHEM 123 (and CHEM 123L).

-David
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Why the heck would you commute if you live 95 km away? At that point you probably wouldn't be saving any money, never mind the wasted time. If you're driving you're looking at a half a tank of gas a day, so probably $200 a week in gas alone - $800 a month! You could probably find a place to rent for $500 a month and food is typically $300 a month plus you then gain 4 hours of time a day.
Was this helpful? Yes 0