yconic - York Vs. Carleton
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

York Vs. Carleton

A photo of aunix aunix
Details:

York - Liberal Arts (political science)
Carleton - Honours Arts with Co op (political science)

Which school is the better choice and why?

*Also, I plan to go to law school afterwards.

Thanks
Aunix
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of aunix aunix
Also, york would allow me to live at home, while at carleton I would have to live on rez.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SpringChild SpringChild
What's more important to you? And where do you see yourself leaning more? First and foremost, where do YOU want to go?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aunix aunix
I think I'm leaning more towards Carleton, because I think that will put me in a new environment where I will have to learn to be more independent which is a good thing. But ultimately, law school is expensive and all I really need to get in is a high gpa and lsat score. To save money it would be a good idea to go to York.

(additional information : I was also accepted to Macmaster for social sciences, but their residences were a turn off for me. However, their reputation seems to be much better than these two. Is the reputation that important if I plan to go to grad school somewhere else anyways?)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Is reputation important to you?

to me it isn't.

I spoke to my guidance counsellor about this. I wanted to go to Carleton but all my friends told me to choose UofT because of its reputation and because its nearby. (I live in south western ontario and no one really goes/is going to Carleton). She told me to forget what everyone else thinks. What do I want? And as for certain schools being better...and ranked higher...that may be the case but its due to the amount of funding the school has for research etc and for a general undergrad degree, it doesn't really matter where you go. You wont be worse off. That's what she told me

there are a lot of members here, and everywhere people really do care about reputation. But I say screw that. Just go where you want to go :)

Saving money may be important to you, or maybe the experience of being independent is more important. What decision makes you happiest and feel well off is what you should go with IMO.

I am now really leaning towards accepting my offer at Carleton :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aunix aunix
Thanks for the advice, it really helps! I live in the greater toronto area and I understand what you mean about very few people applying to Carleton. I appreciate your advice about the reputation because now I'm sure that reputation doesn't really make a huge difference, especially for undergraduate studies. By the way, what program did you apply to?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Honours Biology and Earth Science.

I'm glad that helped ^_^ good luck and let us know waht you chose :P

I really wanted to get faaaaaaaaaaar away from home. Toronto is too nearby. :P
Ottawa seems like a really nice city and the campus seems close-knit and pleasant :) (from what i've seen in pics). Go to the Carleton website and look at the virtual tours of rooms etc, and that will help you get an idea for where you'll be living if you decide to go.

Or you could just stay home and save money :D.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of awaysheflew awaysheflew
Unless money is a HUGE issue, I'd pick Carleton. Ottawa is probably the best place to study political science in Canada because the government is RIGHT THERE (and you might be able to get a co-op placement with the government or an NGO). Carleton has a great political science department, and the money you earn from co-op will help offset the additional costs of living away from home.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of aunix aunix
Thank you all, your advice truly helps!

Also, the reason why I didn't like the residences at Macmaster was because the majority of the accomadations were traditional style and I would have to share a washroom with the entire floor, which I want to avoid. Also, a few rooms that I saw had an odd musty smell, but maybe it was just those rooms. However, the suite and apartment style residences seemed very neat and clean.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hp73 hp73
Hey so you should definitely go for Carleton. Carleton is a much better school and it has a strong liberal arts program. On top of that, Carleton has a better reputation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shimmerbronze shimmerbronze
Depends. Yorks political Science program has alot more streams than Carleton and you have the option on adding an International component to your degree, which requires you to do an exchange and complete several courses in a different language.

Carleton is an amazing location, and is in close proximity to Parliament. So for that reason I would go there.

@aunix wrote
Details:

York - Liberal Arts (political science)
Carleton - Honours Arts with Co op (political science)

Which school is the better choice and why?

*Also, I plan to go to law school afterwards.

Thanks
Aunix

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of christianbale christianbale
CARLETON:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0