yconic - YORK's HEALTH STUDIES PROGRAM
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

YORK's HEALTH STUDIES PROGRAM

A photo of SallyS SallyS
Anyone currently in this program. Tell me all about it...

how did first year go?
how are the profs like?
what marks did you recieve first year?
what career choices have you made or will make?
What are the career options for this program?
Is is a competitive program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of ShootingStar89 ShootingStar89
I'm currently in that program, and I'm going to be majoring in Health Informatics. I ended up changing my major in my second year to health studies, but I never regretted it, it's the best decision I could have ever made.
The profs are really nice, especially Dennis Raphael.
I didn't get anything less than a B+ , currently in the second half of the health studies course and I'm getting an A.
I don't know if I would say it's competitive, in the second year of it you can choose to stream off into health informatics, management or policy. I'm interested in the technology aspect of it so I can't really tell you about the other areas. But it's through health studies that you can also go on to study in medical school (something I'm defiantly going to apply for) and health studies overall makes you think about health care in ways that you would have never imagined.

Hope some of what I said helps :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shimmerbronze shimmerbronze

@SallyS wrote
Anyone currently in this program. Tell me all about it...

how did first year go?
how are the profs like?
what marks did you recieve first year?
what career choices have you made or will make?
What are the career options for this program?
Is is a competitive program?

Hey Sally. I'm currently in second year in the Health Studies program specializing in Health Policy.

First year was great, very flexible and the foundation courses were really cool. One of the courses focuses on the Emergency Department.

The profs were nice and very entertaining, in both courses you have Tutorial Leaders who could also answer your questions.

Recently, I just found out that York will now be offering an Health Internship Program for this degree, which is great and allows you go gain experience in the field.

It's also depends on if you plan to specialize in Health Policy, Management or Informatics. Or just do a general health studies degree.

As for my marks in the course, average B and up, as long as you do the readings and work hard on the assignments you should be fine.

This program is not competitive, just need to meet the minimum requirements to get in and you should be fine.As for a grade 12 math, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND you take Data Management and NOT advanced functions unless you plan on studying sciences. But do take data if you can. EXTREMELY helpful in your upper year courses.

If you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer them!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SallyS SallyS
Do you have to study your ass off or what?
What is the difficulty level?
Do you have anytime to tend to your social life or is the program like health sciences where you don't even have time to run to your classes?

INSIGHT would be great!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shimmerbronze shimmerbronze
The program is not as intense as the sciences, but you do get quite a few assignments, that do make up a huge portion of your grade.

Alot f the material is just for you to grasp the main concept.
Was this helpful? Yes 0