yconic - your most challenging class? high school.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

your most challenging class? high school.

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta
What was the most challenging class you took in high school?

For me it was Classical Civilizations (LVV4U).

The teacher setup the course so there would be 8 unit tests. Half the test would have 5 short answer questions while the second half was an essay question. Fortunately, he provided several essay questions to choose from. However, he gave a demonstration of his expectations for short answers. The ideal, full marks (5), for “short answer” would typically encompass 11 sentences.

Some of my tests were 10-16 sides of full scrap paper, double spaced. I am the only person to achieve a 100%, only happened once, on his current format for tests. He believed people should feel like they earned their hundred.

He had to read The Odyssey and Oedipus the King. He gave out numerous hand-in questions for The Odyssey. We would also have to construct a 3000 word research paper, summative, on the very book. He required 15 reputable sources. In which 3 had to be from reputable essays, for the purpose of comparison.

He loved to show documentaries in class. A 30 minute video could have 30-50 questions assigned to it. I rarely got to actually watch the videos - instead I would just listen and write. Because you just knew a small portion of that video could make an appearance on a unit test. He had three essays save for the summative. He had a bad habit of giving small assignments just before major ones were due.

I got a 97% out of the course. Never worked so hard for a high school course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
45 replies

A photo of Phase Phase
I didn't find any high school course challenging at all, really. Every course is relatively a "bird course" in high school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly
Chemistry.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
LOL.
That's funny.
Cause LVV4U was possibly the easiest course I have ever taken in my high school career.

I tried a bit at the start from beginning of 2nd semestre to midterms of 2nd semestre and I had a 95% going. After I got accepted, I coasted, skipped probably 2 weeks-3 weeks of class, did my final summative in 2 hours and got a 94%.

The course was an absolute joke.

COURSE average was 90%.

The documentaries we watched were for fun.

The tests were just MC and you just had to read over your notes once to know.

I basically wikipedia'd one of my assignments on Plato and his philosophy and got 100% on that assignment.

yeahhhh :p

Hardest was for me, calculus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
IB English HL
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Machariel Machariel
Geography - but it was such a fun course! The teacher was full of enthusiasm and witticisms.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
I think it was English for me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
English without a doubt, my marks from grade 9 to 11 were 58, 50, 64 respectively.
Then I took grade 12 english in summer school this summer and finished with an 84.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
Chemistry (for the workload) and Math/Calculus (for the concepts).

I always found English easy, never got lower than a 96.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725
IB HL Anthro was kind of challenging at first because it was so different than anything I had done before. By the end of the year it was fine though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Mark-wise or concept-wise?

Mark-wise would be without a doubt Grade 9 gym class. No joke. I mean all you have to do is show up and you pass, but the highest mark is like a low-80 and that goes to the uber-competitive all-star athlete of the class. Then everyone else is usually somewhere between 65 and 75 or so for the most part, with a few 60 or lower and a couple approaching that low-80 person. I got the lowest mark in all of my high school classes in Grade 9 gym, with an 80.

As for concept-wise, I would probably go with Grade 12 Calc (although that could be because it was the most difficult concept-wise in recent memory), or Grade 11 Technological design (didn't take 12), probably the latter. I had a very high mark in it, and for the majority of the class the concepts weren't exorbitantly difficult, but I ended up doing some extra work on some of the programs that was far above what was required for the class. The teacher used to work for NASA and also the government during the Cold War. I learned some pretty cool stuff but it was difficult. There was only a couple of us who could actually understand any of it, I probably got the most from it. Interesting course really.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PiggyFlavoredPocky PiggyFlavoredPocky
Oh my God, physics.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quiz Quiz
Spare was most difficult for me. Anything with heavy reading, a lot of random assignments right before big one and tests, a lot of daily homework questions based on documentaries or other heavy reading, and random quizzes out of the blue were generally the easiest classes for me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33
Math HL and IB English HL

Dropping to math sl next year coz im lazy ^____^
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ForeverPi ForeverPi

@PiggyFlavoredPocky wrote
Oh my God, physics.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken

@Quiz wrote
Spare was most difficult for me. Anything with heavy reading, a lot of random assignments right before big one and tests, a lot of daily homework questions based on documentaries or other heavy reading, and random quizzes out of the blue were generally the easiest classes for me.

cool story bro.

mine was hmm... west and the world maybe? we just did a lot of reallly loooong presentations and stuff. or maybe grade 10 history because of our stupid project thing... or grade 10 science because I didn't understand the physics part at all ahaha. or phys ed because I hated volleyball which is mostly what we did, but thankfully we weren't really marked on ability... oh and economics sucked but it wasn't really too hard.

easiest: math, English, philosophy, music, German...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
Concept-wise... hard to say. Maybe physics, my teacher liked to add a bunch of applications that no one really understood. Mark-wise, history-related subjects. I didn't even make an 80 in grade 10 art because the art history was horridly boring. I also happened to run across an incredibly hard-marker in history (very good teacher though) and got boned on the assignments. Gives me 100 on the essay outline and I got a 60 on the essay. Was not amused.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta
My easiest course was Canadian History, CHI4U – 99%

We had a total of four unit tests (teacher discarded one). Only one test had an essay question on it – I suspect out teacher did not want to be bothered with marking. He had multiple choice questions that involved blatantly obvious answers and/or false options.

All of our other evaluations were lead-ups to our summative. Basically we handed in a thesis, essay outline, a work cited page, and some other things individually. These assignments were worth anywhere from 30 to 50 marks. Even if you performed poorly on a test – the weighting of these assignments would bump your mark.

I did a presentation as a part of my summative. I actually went onto Wikipedia the day of the presentation, read over Vimy Ridge page, and winged it. I got a hundred on that presentation.

I am going into engineering so this is my filler mark. It basically makes the laboring in Classics a waste of time.

What is there to say - whether you are a mediocre teacher or an amazing teacher – you still get paid the same in Ontario.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21
My opinion hardest course is FSF 3U0 <-- It still gives me nightmares

It wasn't too hard but I hated the teacher and the books.

Easiest course SNC 1D0

Best teacher in the world and the best class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Tantrum Tantrum
Hardest course was English (my highest mark in English was an 82 and I didn't try that year. The next 2 years I tried and got a 75 and 80 :bounce: )
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456
Physical education was a pain. I borderline passed the course a couple of times...friggin' destroyed my average in grades 8 and 9.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bethanydickey bethanydickey
Hardest for me was Advanced Physics! I don't know whether it was physics itself or the teaching style, but it just didn't make sense to me. However, I miraculously managed to pull through with a 94..to this day I don't know how.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
Freakin' Computer Science. And ENG3UI. That woman teacher had it out for me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mleika Mleika
Math! I didn't have to try hard throughout high school in any other subject but math... that was a different story!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tantrum Tantrum

@LRooke wrote
Freakin' Computer Science. And ENG3UI. That woman teacher had it out for me.

This.
Was this helpful? Yes 0