In these Scotiabank National Scholarship Terms and Conditions, yconic Inc. (the “Program Sponsor”) is the sponsor of this contest. The Bank of Nova Scotia (“Scotiabank”) is the prize funder only, is not responsible for the administration of the Scotiabank National Scholarship (the “Scholarship Program”), and participants release The Bank of Nova Scotia from any and all liability in connection with this Scholarship Program.
Number and Value of Scholarships Available:
Five (5) Early Bird Prizes, valued at $1,000 CAD each (the “Prize”).
Fifteen (15) Scholarships, valued at $5,000 CAD each (the “Scholarship”). One (1) recipient of the $5,000 Scholarship will be selected to receive an additional $20,000 CAD (the “Grand Prize Scholarship”).
There is a total of $100,000 in cash available to be awarded.
Each Prize and/or Scholarship will be awarded to the drawn/selected recipient upon the Program Sponsor’s receipt of valid proof of eligibility.
The Scholarship Program is open to yconic members who are:
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada or international students with a valid student visa (permit must be for one year or longer)
- 16 years old or older at the time of application; and
- High school, CEGEP, or post-secondary students planning to enroll in a certificate, diploma or degree program in the 2018/2019 academic year at a Canadian college, university or trade school
Individuals associated with the administration of the Scotiabank National Scholarship, including employees of yconic, their subsidiaries and affiliated companies, and their respective directors, officers, employees, agents, representatives, promotional and marketing agencies, and any member of the immediate families of any of the foregoing and other individuals with whom any of the foregoing are domiciled, are not eligible to participate in the Scotiabank National Scholarship.
How to Apply:
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.
Online applications are available at yconic.com/program/scotiabank-national-scholarship. Applications must be completed and submitted online between April 19, 2018 at 11:00 a.m. Eastern Time (ET) and July 11, 2018 at 3:00 p.m. ET. Limit of one (1) application submitted per applicant, which may be submitted in English or French.
All applications become the property of the Program Sponsor.
To submit a no-purchase mail-in entry for the Early Bird Draw, eligible entrants must hand print the Scholarship name, their name, age, their complete mailing address, their telephone number and their email address (that matches their yconic membership account) on a plain 3” x 5” piece of paper and mail it in a sealed envelope to: yconic, 2190 Yonge St., 3rd floor, Toronto, Ontario M4S 2B8. Mail-in entry forms must be received by May 17, 2018 in order to be eligible. If both an online application and a mail-in entry are submitted for the Early Bird Draw, only the online application will be considered valid. No photocopied, computer generated facsimiles, mechanically reproduced, or mass entries permitted. Incomplete entries will be disqualified. Entries become the property of the Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned.
Early Bird Draw:
Completed applications from eligible entrants received between April 19, 2018 at 11:00 a.m. ET and May 17, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. ET (the “Early Bird Period”) will be included in the Early Bird Draw.
The five (5) Prizes will be drawn on May 28, 2018 at approximately 3:00 p.m. ET in Toronto, Ontario. Applications will be drawn at random by the Program Sponsor from among all eligible applications received during the Early Bird Period. The odds of winning depend on the total number of eligible applications received during the Early Bird Period.
Scholarship Application Evaluation Criteria:
All qualifying applications will be evaluated by a judging panel comprised of educators, community leaders and Program Sponsor representatives. The following criteria will be used for evaluation of the $5,000 Scholarships:
- Creativity/originality – 30%
- Clarity of thought and communication of content – 15%
- Grammar and spelling – 10%
- Overall content – 45%
The Program Sponsor or their designate(s) will select the fifteen (15) applications that best meet the criteria set out above, in the sole discretion of the Program Sponsor or their designate(s).
Upon successful verification of eligibility, each applicant who submitted one (1) of the top fifteen (15) applications will be designated as a finalist (the “Finalist”) for the Grand Prize Scholarship of $20,000. Each Finalist will be asked to submit a video (on a pre-determined topic) of two (2) minutes or less in length, to be evaluated by a judging panel comprised of educators, community leaders and Program Sponsor representatives. The following criteria will be used for evaluation of the $20,000 Grand Prize Scholarship:
- Creativity/originality – 30%
- Clarity of thought and communication of content – 20%
- Overall content – 50%
The Program Sponsor or their designate(s) will select the one (1) Finalist that best meets the criteria set out above. All final decisions will be made by the Program Sponsor. Winners will be confirmed no later than September 28, 2018.
Each applicant who submits an application before May 17, 2018 is eligible to receive a Prize, valued at $1,000, a Scholarship valued at $5,000, and the $20,000 Grand Prize Scholarship
How to Claim your Prize and/or Scholarship:
By phone and/or email, yconic will notify drawn/selected applicants that they have been drawn/selected to receive a Prize and/or Scholarship. Each drawn/selected applicant must submit to the Program Sponsor, within the time specified by the Program Sponsor, the following:
1. A Declaration of Compliance, Publicity and Liability Release signed by the applicant (or the applicant’s parent or legal guardian, if the applicant is a minor) that provides, among other things, (i) that the applicant certifies that they meet the eligibility criteria and have complied with all requirements set out above, and (ii) that the applicant consents, without further compensation, to the Program Sponsor’s use of the applicant’s name, city, province or territory of residence, application submission and photograph in any publicity relating to the Prize or Scholarship.
2. Proof, acceptable to yconic, that the selected applicant meets the eligibility criteria under “Eligibility”.
In order to be confirmed as a Prize winner, the drawn applicant must first correctly answer (or, if the drawn applicant is a minor, their legal guardian must correctly answer), without assistance of any kind, a time-limited, mathematical, skill-testing question.
The drawn Prize applicant must return all forms/documentation to the Program Sponsor within three (3) days of receipt of the forms by the drawn applicant.
The selected Scholarship applicant must return all forms/documentation to the Program Sponsor within ten (10) days of receipt of the forms by the selected applicant.
Forms/documentation (where applicable) may be submitted by:
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Toll Free Fax: 1-866-829-2737
- Courier, mail, or in person:
2190 Yonge St., 3rd floor,
Toronto, Ontario M4S 2B8
Failure to submit the documents described above within the required time may result in disqualification of the applicant.
Other Terms and Conditions:
By submitting an application, the applicant (or the applicant’s parent or legal guardian if the applicant is a minor):
1. Certifies that the information provided in the application and in any other documents provided in connection with the application is true, accurate and complete, to the best of their knowledge.
2. Authorizes third parties, such as educational institutions and other sources provided by the applicant, to release information (including personal evaluations) to the Program Sponsor to confirm the information submitted by the applicant in connection with the application.
4. Authorizes the Program Sponsor to disclose any information provided by applicants in connection with or relating to their application to their respective representatives who need to know such information to administer and promote the Scholarship Program, provided that such information is used only for such purpose.
If available, by specifically checking the additional Program Sponsor information check-box on the application form, the applicant consents to the Program Sponsor using the personal information submitted with the application including, but not limited to, contacting the applicant in the future to provide electronic newsletters and mailings, and other promotions and product and/or service offerings of the Program Sponsor.
If available, by specifically checking the additional profile share information check-box on the application form, the applicant consents to The Bank of Nova Scotia using the personal information submitted with the application and within their yconic member profile including, but not limited to, contacting the applicant in the future to provide electronic newsletters, and other promotions and product and/or service offerings of The Bank of Nova Scotia.
5. Agrees that the Program Sponsor may aggregate information submitted by the applicant with information submitted by other applicants, and use such aggregated information in anonymous form for reporting, statistical, publicity and promotional purposes.
6. Agrees that the Program Sponsor may modify, amend or cancel the Scholarship Program at any time and in their sole discretion, without individual notice for any reason whatsoever, and if required, in the case of Quebec, the consent of the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux (RACJ).
7. Agrees to have met all the eligibility requirements and agrees to abide by the Scotiabank National Scholarship Terms and Conditions. If eligibility requirements are unmet or false information has been provided then the applicant will be ineligible for the Prize and/or Scholarship.
8. Agrees to automatically release each of the Releasees (as defined in paragraph (12) below) and any other person or entity associated in any way with the Scholarship Program from any and all liability arising in any manner out of the Scholarship Program, including without limitation, the selection of any Prize/Scholarship winners, the administration of the Scholarship Program, and the acceptance or the use of any or all of the Prizes/Scholarships as awarded.
9. Agrees to be bound by the decisions of the Program Sponsor, which shall be final and binding for all purposes.
10. Agrees that any attempt to tamper with the application process, to interfere with the Scholarship Program or the Scotiabank National Scholarship Terms and Conditions, to deliberately damage any website or to undermine the administration, security or legitimate operation of the Scholarship Program, may be a violation of criminal and civil laws and the Program Sponsor and/or The Bank of Nova Scotia reserves the right to seek damages or other relief or both from all persons responsible for such acts to the fullest extent permitted by law, which may include banning or disqualifying applicants from this and future Scholarship Programs involving the Program Sponsor.
11. Agrees that the Releasees (as defined in paragraph (12) below) are not responsible for any technical problems, malfunctions or any telephone lines, computer systems, servers, providers, hardware/software, lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmission or any combination thereof. The Releasees are not responsible for any liability for damage to any computer systems resulting from participation in or accessing or downloading information in connection with this Scholarship Program.
12. Agrees that the Program Sponsor and The Bank of Nova Scotia, their affiliated companies, associates, directors, officers, employees, agents, successors and assigns (collectively, the “Releasees”) are not responsible for any negligence, claims, liability, injury up to and including death, property loss or other damage to the applicant or winner arising from or in connection with the acceptance, redemption or use/misuse of a prize or participation in this Scholarship Program. The Prize/Scholarship winner(s) assume(s) all liability for any injury or damage caused, or claimed to be caused, by participation in this Scholarship Program or use or redemption of the Prize/Scholarship.
13. Agrees that the Releasees shall not be responsible for applications not received or not considered eligible due to incomplete, inaccurate, unclear or indecipherable information, failed or interrupted network connections or other mechanical or technical problems, however caused (including a busy phone signal). The Releasees shall have no liability for lost, stolen, delayed, damaged or misdirected applications, or for any failure, interruption, delay, error or omission on the website during the Scholarship Program, for any problems related to the website, including mechanical or technical malfunction of, or damage to, any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software, for failure of any email or application to be received by the Program Sponsor for any reason, for damage to an applicant’s or any other person’s computer, or for breaches of privacy for any reason beyond the control of the Releasees, including interference by third party computer “hackers”.
14. Agrees that this Scholarship Program is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws and is void outside Canada or where prohibited by law. Any dispute arising hereunder shall be adjudicated in the applicable court in Toronto, Ontario. For residents of Quebec: any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of the Scholarship Program may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux (RACJ) for a ruling; and any litigation respecting the awarding of a Prize may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux (RACJ) only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.