yconic is the place where you can give and get the help you need for your life as a student. To help keep our community an enjoyable, helpful and safe place for all members, please adhere to the following guidelines.
1. Be nice to people. It's okay to provide constructive criticism, but there is no need to insult other members. For example, "X major is over-saturated right now. You might have trouble finding a job" is fine. "Your major is dumb. Have fun working in fast food," is not helpful nor appropriate.
2. Ask actual questions. If you're looking for help with something, titling a thread "HELP, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO" isn't going to appeal to the members that may be best suited to help you. Be specific and title your post with relevant information.
3. Don't abuse the anonymous feature by pretending to be multiple people. Surprise, surprise, we know who posts what :)
4. Please only tag relevant interests when you create a new thread. Adding unrelated interests is unlikely to get you the help you're looking for and can frustrate other members.
5. Avoid spamming. This includes replying to your own thread for the sole purpose of moving it up the discussion feed.
6. Don't expose other people's personal information. If someone is posting anonymously, please respect their privacy.
7. If you see something you don't like, click the 'Report' button in the post menu and a moderator will review it. Please avoid commenting on inappropriate posts as this only encourages them.
8. Did a post help you? Click the "Was this post helpful?" button to help us recognize our most helpful members and so that other people will know the response was...you guessed it, helpful!
If you do not respect our guidelines, you may be temporarily or permanently banned from the yconic community.
I'm in grade 11 and I have recently gotten interested in business. I have a few questions and any information will be much appreciated.
1) I want to eventually become an entrepreneur and start my own business. Which program will be the most helpful and be the best fit in this regard? I don’t want to work for a company or for a bank for the rest of my life. I want to get into entrepreneurship and start my own business after University. Which program will set me up the best for this goal?
2) I'm hoping to apply to the top universities for business (IVEY, Schulich, Queens...). Will my grade 11 marks be looked at? Does it matter much? What average should I aim for in grade 12 to get a good chance to get into the best programs? My ECs are not good but I still have a year to fix that. What are they looking for in terms of leadership roles and impressive ECs?
3) What program has the best school spirit/social life? I want to enjoy my experience. Is schoolwork demanding enough to take a toll on social life?
4) I'm very confused about the whole Major and Minor thing at university. What's the difference between a major and a minor? Examples would be great.